I am so excited to introduce to you, Rainbow Run. I had so much fun making this quilt. There are 12 different blocks comprised to make one quilt.
Supplies you will need:
-96 colored 5″x 5″ squares (you can use 2 of these Rainbow Charms)
-94 Solid 5″ x 5″ squares (you can use 3 of these Bella White Charm Packs)
-14 Solid 2.5″x 44″ strips (you can use 1 of these Bella Solids White Mini Jelly)
– Binding 2/3 yard
–Pen for marking
Use a 1/4″ seam
Finished Size 54.5″x 72″
Purchase the Kit HERE.
To begin you are going to need to make lots and lots of Half Square Triangles (HST’s), 190 to be precise. We are going to break it down block by block to make it a little easier. You can either make your HST 16 at a time for each block or do all 190 at once and be done.
1. To begin, place each color charm square right sides together with one white charm square.
2. Then using a fabric marker, draw a diagonal line across all of your white squares.
3. Then using a fabric marker, draw a diagonal line across all of your white squares.
4. Cut each square on the line you drew between the seams using a rotary cutter and ruler.
5. Set the seam by placing the white side down (colored side facing up) and press the colored side to set the seam.
6. Set the seam on the colored side, flip it over and iron the colored side down making sure the colored seam is to the colored side otherwise, you will be able to see the seam allowance.
(This technique is good for when you are using a light color and a dark color like white vs. red)
7. After you have ironed out the squares, trim your corners with a rotary cutter.
So now you know how to make a Half Square Triangle. This is going to be our base for this entire quilt and it is how you place it that will make up our quilt.
From your Half Square triangles that you made put you blocks in the order above. Sew them together by fours like above to make four strips. Sew your four strips together and you are done.
You will want to do the same thing with each block. Lay your 16 half square triangles out and position them how you would like. Sew into four rows and then sew the rows together.
Keep doing the same thing for all 12 blocks.
Once you are all done you will have a pile of gorgeous new blocks.
Lay out of all of your blocks to they are in the right order and facing the correct way.
Sew all of your blocks together with 2 1/2″ sashing in between.
You will want it sewn together in this order.