In a generation that is bringing back quilting, here is a twist on the traditional pinwheel quilt that will appeal to both experienced quilters and new beginners. This 3D pinwheel square is easy and perfect for beginners!
- 1 Charm Pack with at least 36 5”x 5” squares. We used The Boat House by Sweetwater
- ¾ yard of fabric of your choice to cut out 40 charm
- Rotary cutter
- Cutting board
- Fold each square in half (folding corner to corner) and press.
- Fold the triangle in half again.
- Separate your folded triangles into piles of four arranging them to your liking.
- Using a little less than a 1/4” seam allowance, sew the folded triangle and the backing square together.
- Now that you have sewn on the triangles, sew two of the blocks together using a ¼” seam allowance. Repeat for remaining blocks.
- Press the seam away from the triangle.
- Sew the pairs together.
- To reduce bulge in the center of the pinwheel, snip right in the middle, next to the seam. Fold the sides down and press.
You did it! Choose the desired number of squares you want to create a beautiful 3D pinwheel quilt. Below we have pictures of our finished product.
Other Boat House Pictures